Syracuse, Watertown and Rochester, NY Mitsubishi
- Gasoline, like any other liquid, evaporates less when it's really cold, so it becomes harder to burn it.
- Oil gets a lot thicker when it gets cold. So when you attempt to start a cold engine, the thicker oil makes it hard for the engine to rotate. In extremely cold climate, many people must use synthetic motor oils because of their quality to stay liquid even in cold temperatures.
- Cold temperature affects battery performance, thus the starter motor has less energy when it attempts to start the engine.
How to Start Your Mitsubishi in Freezing Weather
- This applies if your Mitsubishi has a carburetor. Pressing the accelerator pedal will dispense small amounts of fuel into the intake, which will help the engine get going. Note that this is not needed in cars with fuel injected engines.
- The cold temperature takes a toll on the battery power. Shutting the car door and running off all accessories, including radio, lights and the heater, maximizes the starting power.
- While attempting to start the car, don't hold the key for longer than 10 seconds; overworking the starter can cause mechanical damage. If the car fails to start, wait a few minutes and try again.
- Do not forget to let the battery recover. If the battery dies, you will have to jump start it.
How to Jump Start A Dead Battery
If the battery is completely unresponsive, the starter won't be able to work at all. This means the battery is dead and needs a jump start. You will require a set of jumper cables and a running car.
- Position the car with the front end facing each other.
- Connect the jumper cables to the appropriate terminals. Check for the + and - symbols on the cables and the battery terminal. Attach the cable with the + symbol to the positive terminal on both batteries, then the cable with the - symbol on the negative terminal. The dead battery will use the electricity from the running car to start.
- Do not turn the car off after jump starting the car. The battery will take a few minutes to recharge itself while the engine is running.
- If the car does not start or recharge after driving it for around 20 minutes, then the terminal on the battery is not functioning properly. Head towards the closest service station or Fuccillo Mitsubishi if in Watertown, Adams, Syracuse, NY, for a checkup.
If you currently reside in Watertown, Adams, Syracuse, NY, visit Fuccillo Mitsubishi for a routine checkup of your car. Visit www.fuccillomitsu.com for contact details or direction, or just visit the blog for more helpful tips regarding your automobile.
Fuccillo Mitsubishi: New York State’s new & used auto dealer specializing in Mitsubishi cars, hybrids, cross-overs, SUVs, and electric cars. Search for a new or used Mitsubishi Galant, Eclipse, Endeavor, i-MiEV, Lancer, Outlander, Spyder; and more. Or search for a used vehicle. Schedule a test drive; research features; get prices; and arrange financing. Located in Watertown, New York. Serving Syracuse, Rochester, Adams, Rome, Fort Drum, Liverpool, Cicero and Utica, NY.
This entry was posted in Fuccillo Mitsubishi of Watertown and tagged Fuccillo Mitsubishi, Fort Drum Mitsubishi, Fort Drum Used Mitsubishi, Mitsubishi, Syracuse Mitsubishi, Syracuse Used Mitsubishi, used mitsubishi, Watertown Mitsubishi, Watertown Used Mitsubishi on 09/24/2014 at 2:38 PM