A car that becomes unresponsive in the middle of nowhere can be bothersome. Most of the times when you can't start your car on a road, you call up a tow truck and have to drag it to your mechanic for immediate assistance. However, if you know how to jump start your car, a tow truck will no longer remain the only way to resolve this issue. Our engineers at Fuccillo Mitsubishi offer the best guidelines to jump start your car.
Identifying the Problem
There are two ways of jump starting your car. One is when you have jumper cables and the other is when you don't have them. However, before jump starting your car, you need to make sure that the problem is with the battery and not the other electrical components of your car. A good way to check whether the battery is dead is to turn on the ignition. If your car's engine gives a cranking sound, then it is an electrical or mechanical fault that is not related to the battery. If the engine is quiet, the car's battery is responsible and a jump start can help you then.
Starting the Car with Jumper Cables
It is better to keep jumper cables in your car for emergency use. But if you don't have a jumper cable, you can stop a passing car and ask them if they have jumper cables and would be willing to help you jump start the car. This is because two cars are required to start the engine with a jumper cable; one car with a working battery and another with a dead one. Once you have jumper cables, follow the instructions below:
- Take out the jumper cables
- Make sure both the cars" ignitions are switched off
- Attach a red cable clamp to the positive terminal of the dead battery
- Attach another red cable clamp to the positive terminal of the working battery
- Attach a black cable clamp to the negative terminal of the working battery
- Attach the last black cable clamp to an unpainted metallic surface of your car away from the battery
- Try to start your car
- If it starts, keep it running for 15 minutes before driving away
Starting It Manually without Cables
If you cannot find a jumper cable and a car to help you jump start the engine, try to start it manually with these simple steps: (Remember that these steps can only work if you are within a hilly or sloping landscape)
- Ask for help from passers-by to push your car to the top of a slope
- Turn off the ignition
- Tell the people who are pushing to push your car downward and get into the driver’s seat
- As the car moves, press the clutch completely
- Change the gear to second or third
- As your car's speed reaches to 5mph, raise your foot from the clutch quickly and turn the ignition on simultaneously
- Keep the car running if your car starts up
- Last but not the least, do get your car's battery checked
For more tips and best offers on new and used Mirage, Lancer, Outlander Sport, and Outlander, come to Fuccillo Mitsubishi from Adams, Watertown, and Syracuse.
Fuccillo Mitsubishi: New York State’s new & used auto dealer specializing in Mitsubishi cars, hybrids, cross-overs, SUVs, and electric cars. Search for a new or used Mitsubishi Galant, Eclipse, Endeavor, i-MiEV, Lancer, Outlander, Spyder; and more. Or search for a used vehicle. Schedule a test drive; research features; get prices; and arrange financing. Located in Watertown, New York. Serving Syracuse, Rochester, Adams, Rome, Fort Drum, Liverpool, Cicero and Utica, NY.
This entry was posted in Fuccillo Mitsubishi of Watertown and tagged Fuccillo Mitsubishi, watertown car maintenance, watertown car repairs, watertown car tips on 06/25/2015 at 6:00 PM